Tuesday

When God Created My Toes {children's lit review}




The painted illustrations in When God Created My Toes  are beautiful and the rhymes sweet.  The family in the book appear to be multi-racial, perhaps Asian, which I found to be a welcome departure from the white faces that are standard in much children's media.  The young dad with the hipster-looking glasses was fresh type, too.

The book is appropriate for very young preschoolers.  There is no narrative and the pictures are simple.  The family's home is also simple, which I appreciated.  The rhymes reinforce the idea that God created each of us, and the little girl imagines God delighting in creating each part of her:
When God created my hand
Did my fingers snap?
Did he help me clap?
Did we cheer for angel bands when God created my hands?
It does entertain the apocryphal idea that children originate in heaven, which I found a little off-putting.  I probably wouldn't purchase a copy myself, but my kids are enjoying it.  It is a sweet little story that reminds kids that they are fearfully and wonderfully made by a creative God who loves them.


-----
I received a copy from from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group but was not otherwise compensated for this review.

No comments: